Click on image to enlarge... 1024x768 hi
( 10 ) South
Parlour: The South Parlour contains one of the most extraordinary pieces in the
NB Historical Society's collection- the combination piano and organ made by
Lemuel Gilbert. In the 1830's Gilbert made this piece in his workshop on
Washington Street in Boston. It is made from mahogany of generous proportions.
These Gilbert pianos with organ attachment are very rare. The Society for the
Preservation of New England Antiquities has confirmed this is one of only two
combination piano-organs known to exist. The other remains in Boston. The
piano-organ is original to the house and is thought to have remained in the
parlours for most of its approximate 160 year life. A clarinet of similar age
is also displayed.
The pendent portraits hung over the piano were completed by an unknown artist
about 1850 of an unidentified couple.
< Return to image descriptions